Monday, June 20, 2005

What to Bring?

Several of you have asked for a list of what to bring to the camp. I asked Sarah Spring to come up with a list for that. But you should know that these items are all essentially optional - you can do with or without, it all depends on what you need to make you feel comfortable.

Here is her list:


Summer Clothes (t-shirt and shorts are pretty standard)

At least one light jacket or sweater for cool evenings

Athletic Clothes and Tennis Shoes (optional, for sports and other planned activities)

There are laundry facilities in the dorm, and we will have detergent available for a nominal fee in the camp office.

Toiletries (Deodorant, Shampoo, Conditioner, SOAP, etc)

A watch

Shower shoes (optional)

Sheets, a light blanket (All rooms will have AC) and a pillow

Towels (at least 1)

An Alarm Clock (or if your cell phone has an alarm this will work)

Bookbag/backpack

A notebook for lectures and lab notes

The Office will have all typical debate supplies available for Office Max (or the cheapest we can find) prices. We will not mark them up, so you can plan on buying them when you get here.

But if you want to bring your own, here is a list of things you might need:
Pens (black ink)
Scissors
Tape
Regular white typing paper
Paper for flowing
Folders or expanding folders
A tub (if you want to bring paper evidence back with you)

If you bring your computer it is important to make sure you bring an Ethernet cord and/or your wireless card. The campus generally has wireless available in all locations, but sometimes it is good to have a cord to plug in if the signal is weak in a certain location.

Unlike other camps the meals at Miami are very good. Miami has a top ranked meal service and you will not get bored or disgusted by the food, there will always be vegetarian and vegan options available.

Spending money is up to your discretion, some nights you may want to order pizza or subs or Chinese to the dorms or walk uptown for other food, but you will not need a large amount of money. Printing and copying in the library will also cost a small fee.

The Recreation center is open to guests all summer but it is $7/day or $26/week to get a guest pass, there is a pool in the Rec center if you would like to swim (then you would also need a bathing suit).


Thanks! to Sarah for her help.

Steve Mancuso

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

something that people also might want to bring is a timer and of course, frisbees are key...

Anonymous said...

not to worry, my frisbees coming.

and it rocks!

~Kaitlyn

Anonymous said...

is it the regulation weight?

Anonymous said...

We're giving out very swanky Miami timers, but of course you could bring your own. Frisbees are essential, we will have a very competitive frolf tournament, and if you have your own frolf discs you should bring those. Also a baseball glove can be useful.

Sarah Spring

Anonymous said...

175 grams, its the 'original frisbee disc'

a step up from my Ron Jons frisbee we used last year, and i got it at the beach last summer and haven't used it that much yet so its good.

Anonymous said...

why do we need a baseball glove?

Anonymous said...

how about cricket?

Anonymous said...

I really want to learn to play cricket


Oh, and awesome frisbee
-Kurt

Anonymous said...

There are lots of weights at the rec center, and feel free to bring cricket implements.

Anonymous said...

so im assuming there will be no beach to occupy our time?? :-/

Anonymous said...

what about the climbing wall, my sis used to go to miami and they had a sweet climbing wall in the gym, will we be allowed to use it?

Anonymous said...

lol, when people started talking about how they were going to miami months ago i kept thinking they were talking about florida and i was like man.. my parents won't let me fly that far.

Anonymous said...

is anyone thinking of bringing a football, also how bout a basketball, and how many of you are thinking of doing that rec center thing?

Anonymous said...

I would bring a basketball but last time my brother tried to fly one in, it got confiscated as a safety hazard. Security these days..
If somebody local would like to bring a basketball that would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

I'm already bringing the frisbee. someone bring a football!

lol.. im in the middle of trying to pack since you can only check 2 items without paying extra so my tub somehow fits in one of my suit cases and then i have my lap top bag in my duffel thats coming on the plane and the lady on the phone said my lacrosse stick works as a carry on too so we'll see...

Anonymous said...

well my name is Gabe and il be a short kid with blonde brownish hair, im gonna try to pick up a football, I am thinking of just mailing my tub back, via media mail, it should cost around 15 bucks, what are your guys names and stuff so I can find you.

Anonymous said...

GABE GABE! i know gabe from SDA! im erin, and, yes, i may be blonde but i do realize there is no beach in ohio. i'm bummed :-(, i am just too used to cali i guess. but i can't wait to meet everyone, hopefully you finally get the football situation under control
;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm Anjali from Presentation High school in Cali and you'll know who i am if you see a girl with long black hair :]. Cant wait to get there!

Anonymous said...

erin do you go to SDA, or did I just meet you at a debate tournament, I was pretty friendly at those tournaments so I might of met you, im pretty friendly,so ill prolly know most of you, well I just went to big 5(sporting good) I got a football, a frisbee(one of those ring kinds), some tennis balls, and if I can find my basketball ill bring that to, im planning on getting the membership to that rec center and going swiming, im looking forward to meeting all of you especially the girls(jk)(not really, lol) but anyways ill cya you guys and girls when I get there, cant wait, only 1 more day of waiting left, I hope I dont get a bad roomate.

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is Lee, I'm going to bring a football and try to bring a basketball. I'm driving so it's no problem for me. I'm probably going to get the rec room membership too. Should be fun.

Anonymous said...

Do we need to bring any formal clothing for debate or otherwise?

Anonymous said...

wazza lee? cant wait to play some football, lol, no I talked to one of teh staff no formal stuff necessary, thank the lord.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks for replying real quick.

Anonymous said...

pretty much. Ultimate frisbee owned at camp last year at catholic, and iv heard miami has an awesome 'frolf' course (frisbee golf) although im sure there'll still be lotsa ultimate and football.

~Kaitlyn

24 hours and i'll be on a plane!

Anonymous said...

http://thestudentside.com/nfphpbb/index.php

check it out

Anonymous said...

Ultimate Frisbee should be fun it isn't that big in Chicago so I don't know the rules really. We played it in gym a couple of times last year. Yea I agree gym is pricey but oh well it's
all good. Clint I'm guessing ur into boxing?

Can't wait for 2mmarow